[development] Drupal 6 release schedule

Victor Kane victorkane at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 22:42:46 UTC 2007

On 1/31/07, James Walker <walkah at walkah.net> wrote:
> On 1/31/07 5:30 PM, Victor Kane wrote:
> >
> > I sort of perhaps naively assume that it would make no sense making
> > another major release without dealing with those problems.
> >

> It's an interesting point. One thing to keep in mind, however, is the
> mental effect of having a "hard" deadline. As anyone who has been around
> for a few release cycles can attest - there is a disproportionate flurry
> of patch submissions "at the deadline". So having a "hard" deadline is
> largely motivational. To get people thinking & started on their "big
> ideas" for the next drupal.
>
> Drupal always has, and always will be 'released when ready'.

That's great, I'm all for that. I am simply concerned because I don't
see any correlation between announced new functionality and the
estimation of four months, and even less, an iterations plan. I
suppose that drupal veterans may have a clear picture, but I advise
that the target functionality be gleaned from the feature request list
and prioritized.

> > Your damned if you do and damned if you don't: if you don't you "fall
> > behind the web 2 race for splashiness"; if you do, you are painting
> > yourself into a corner and risking everything drupal stands for:
> > cleanness, well-thought out stuff, lean and mean...
>
> Well, I don't think drupal has every really aspired to being splashy...
> again, the release dates are more about keeping drupal moving forward
> than trying to keep up with or "beat" any other platform.

That's true. And I applaud it.

> > On the other hand, if "Drupal 6" is drupal 5 debugged and jquery up
> > front usability gains, etc., then that is ok, would be an advance, no
> > matter what you call it.
> >
> > But if the rush to freeze also freezes some stuff that depends on the
> > thorny points in the middle of the river, so to speak, then that could
> > cause problems.
>
> 4 months is a *lot* of time in drupal land. Stick around :)
> --

cool, let's go for it! I know I will pitch in where I can!