[development] Subsystem maintainers or targeted committers?

Karen Stevenson karen at elderweb.com
Mon Jul 2 14:37:29 UTC 2007

I think this is starting to get somewhere :-)

I see the biggest problem is that there is nothing now between 'Feature Request' and 'Patch to be Reviewed'. In fact, it seems that you can't get much attention to a FR unless you provide a patch to be discussed, which puts the cart before the horse and probably encourages everyone to just jump in and start coding without enough support around the idea. Perhaps we need to move Feature Requests to a different system or different part of the system where you can propose a feature and have a forum for discussing in a global way whether the feature is needed and what should be included in a solution. Then, after discussion has solidified and there is agreement that it is a good idea and what direction it should take, and only then, someone creates a patch to be reviewed that is put into the issue queue. And any non-trivial core patch should be somehow be forced through that system before it will be considered.

Now, what needs to be done to create a system like that? I'm not sure.

Karen