[development] Modules - start your porting

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Tue Jul 3 19:55:03 UTC 2007

On Jul 3, 2007, at 3:34 PM, Moshe Weitzman wrote:

> It would be very helpful if module maintainers could soon start
> porting their modules to Drupal 6.

Agreed!

To that end, now that the freeze is upon us, we really *must* make a
final decision on my proposal for CVS branches:

http://drupal.org/node/147493

The "DRUPAL-5" branch has been the source of much confusion in the
contrib repo in terms of how it interacts with the release system.
If you doubt this, I will get angry, since I've spent *dozens* of
hours (re)explaining this to people via email, IRC and in the issue
queues.  I'm proposing we completely prevent anyone from creating a
"DRUPAL-6" branch.  Instead, when they're ready to branch their code
for the 6.x-1.* series, they make a "DRUPAL-6--1" branch, just like
they would make a "DRUPAL-6--2" branch for the 6.x-2.* series...
This will help them remember that "DRUPAL-6--1" is only for 6.x-1.*
code, and if they're doing something that's slated for a different
series, it belongs in a different branch.

Please comment in the issue:

http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/147493

Ultimately, this is "RTBC", namely, it needs Dries's final approval
or rejection. ;)

> Some big, important modules require multiple people to get this job
> done right (e.g. Views, CCK, ...). Let's help these maintainers.

/me whimpers in the corner, wondering if help will be forthcoming to
port project*...

;)

Cheers,
-Derek