[development] GoPHP5.org - Drupal 7 and PHP 5.2

adrian rossouw adrian at bryght.com
Thu Jul 5 23:56:57 UTC 2007

On 05 Jul 2007, at 10:34 PM, Rob Barreca wrote:

> Nice! Say hello to SimpleXML. :-)

I have to say, one of my favorite parts of simplexml, is the array /
object duality.
Attributes are accessed via => , and children are accessed via [].
This would have been awesome for fapi, if you could actually use it as a
language feature. (I think they probably implement it via magic
callbacks, and that only handles the calling, not the definitions.)

However, it's impossible to serialize (cache, or conversely store in
the session) simplexml objects, so you always have the xml parsing
overhead.

The other interesting thing we could look at is exceptions. Error
handling in PHP has _long_ been one of my sore points with the language.