[development] Question about Drupal performance

Lennart Borgman (gmail) lennart.borgman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 23:19:17 UTC 2007

Thanks to you all for your kind answers. The pointers you gave me are
very useful for me.

Khalid, I have some more q:s below.

- L

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> There are many big sites running Drupal and they have low page
> generation times (I have seen page generation times as low as 16
> milliseconds, average is 100-300 ms, with spikes to 600 ms).
>
> I personally know sites that do 930,000 page views a day, 59,000
> per hour using the above averages.

Thanks for the figures. What kind of hosts is that? What kind of caching?

> Even on a relatively inexpensive Xen VPS (forget Virtuozzo or OpenVZ,
> they are slow), performance is really snappy.
>
> Because Drupal uses a lot of queries, it will be slow on shared hosts
> that lump together lots of sites and their databases, or on sites that
> have no PHP accelerators.

Thanks, I see. Is there anyting one can do to improve the situation when
one has a Drupal site on a shared host (except turning on Drupal caching)?