[development] Question about Drupal performance

Jeff Griffiths anisotropic at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 23:52:56 UTC 2007

On 7/9/07, Tony Guntharp <fusion94 at damagestudios.net> wrote:
> 1) Turn on Drupal caching
> 2) Enable an Opcode Optimizer such as eAccelerator, XCache, APC
> 3) Enable Memcache (can be a bit tricky)
> 4) Tweak Apache to meet your needs.
> 5) Tweak MySQL to meet your needs.

This is basically what we have done, with drupal 5 running on a single
box. We aren't using memcache yet but we *are* using squid. Apache
bench output using regular caching looks like this:

jeffg at opus jeffg> ab -c 5 -n 1000 http://community.activestate.com/

Concurrency Level:      5
Time taken for tests:   10.116279 seconds
Complete requests:      1000
Failed requests:        0
Write errors:           0
Total transferred:      9984144 bytes
HTML transferred:       9260251 bytes
Time per request:       50.581 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:       10.116 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate:          963.79 [Kbytes/sec] received

I would expect for this test that almost all of it was served out of
the squid cache actually, but for performance for users that are
*logged in* APC and MySLQ 5 query caching are the biggest bonuses, and
these are something the host should *want* to do for all of their
customers to reduce processing demands on their boxes.

JeffG