[development] FW: [Drupal bug] fix text:big, add CLOB, update BLOB handling

Edison Wong hswong3i at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 17:53:51 UTC 2007

May someone help me? I need some advice about this patch :)

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/147947
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/147947

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      6.x-dev
 Component:    database system
 Category:     bug reports
(46.2 KB)

this patch standardize drupal BLOB/CLOB handling for cross DB compatibility,
e.g. db_update_* for LOBs value update,
db_encode_*/db_decode_* for LOBs value encoding/decoding. change incude:

* new API: db_update_blob(), db_update_clob(), db_encode_clob(),
db_decode_clob()
* updated API: _db_query_callback(), db_encode_blob()
* module with BLOB change: cache
* modules with CLOB change: aggregator, block, comment, contact, node

for current stage, it is only a dummy mapping for "clob" type among
mysql/pgsql, where mapping it as like as that of "text" type. BTW, it will
greatly decrease the difficulty for other DB driver implementation, e.g.
oralce, mssql and db2.

this patch only change the handling for LOBs type. therefore, unless
developer choose to use BLOB/CLOB type, nothing will affect them. on the
other hand, if developer choose to use LOBs type, which means that they will
have (nearly) unlimited storage size, BTW trade off some query level
features, e.g. using GROUP BY, ORDER BY, WHERE, etc.

hswong3i