[development] update.php for D6

Barry Jaspan barry at jaspan.org
Fri Jul 13 05:18:39 UTC 2007

This week I have put a lot of hours into fixing all the problems with
update.php from D5 to D6 (I've been on the road giving a week-long
Drupal training, with nothing to do in the evenings ;-).  The fruits
of my labors are at http://drupal.org/node/157682.  It is still in
code-needs-work status.  I am announcing the issue here for two reasons:

1.  I want to avoid someone else duplicating this work and either
wasting their time or causing my time to be wasted.

2.  The patch contains a large number of small changes, mostly all
over system.install.  I'd like to get the review process going
ASAP.  The "needs-work" parts are things I haven't gotten to yet, but
the things I have gotten to are "done" and ready for review.  If some
people familiarized themselves now with all the issues involved, once
it hits CNR it won't take forever to get committed.

This is also a great opportunity to familiarize yourself with the
contrib schema.module and its database inspection and comparison capability.

Thanks,

Barry