[development] MySQL sandbox: running multiple instances of MySQL

Augustin (Beginner) drupal.beginner at wechange.org
Fri Jul 13 08:14:18 UTC 2007

Hello,

The other reason why I didn't take part in Drupal 6 dev, is that it required
MySQL 4.1, and my operating system (which is only 1 and a half year old)
shipped with MySQL 4.0. I am very bad at OS administration and I constantly
delayed upgrading the whole OS (actually, I think I won't upgrade but switch
to Debian).

Anyway, I obviously needed to at least upgrade MySQL, and I wanted to do so
without removing the current MySQL (4.0) just in case I made a mistake (I
told you I am bad at OS administration).

I searched and found the following utility that could be useful to many of
you:

""Installing a side instance of MySQL for testing purpose is a task that many
administrators can perform without breaking a sweat [...]

If, however, your skills are below the Guru level, even to get this task done
just once you may find yourself in trouble[...]

It would be nice to have a tool that takes care of the dirty details for you
and gets the job done quietly, without interfering with existing
installations, and without side effects.

Such a tool exists, it’s The MySQL Sandbox. It is a framework for testing
features under any version of MySQL from 3.23 to 5.1. Whitout fuss, it will
install one server under your home directory, and it will provide some useful
commands to start and stop it, and to use it within the sandbox.
""
http://mysql-sandbox.sourceforge.net/
http://www.oreillynet.com/databases/blog/2006/05/introducing_the_mysql_sandbox.html
download:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-sandbox/

It is very simple to install and use, even for someone like myself!
And now, I have one instance of Drupal 6 running on my system: I can start
updating my contrib modules anytime!

FYI, here is the 'official' way to run multiple instances of MySQL:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/multiple-servers.html

Blessings,

Augustin.