[development] how to right AJAX enabled module?

Ahmad Al-Obaidy ahmad at hitech-iraq.com
Mon Jul 16 18:10:03 UTC 2007

OK done... I tested it on Firefox, IE, Opera and Safari... and all worked great
it was a bug in my code...

many thanks to dmitrig01 from #drupal... he was a big help yesterday.

Ahmad Al-Obaidy <ahmad at hitech-iraq.com> wrote: Hello Amr,
Thank you man,
I got it work with with with node service... its more than enough for me!
everything works ok on Firefox... but with IE ... it just not working

my script look like this:

function avl_get_location() {
  Drupal.service('node.load',
    {nid: avl_nid, fields: ["nid", "title"]},
    function(status, data) {
       alert(data.title);
    }
  );
}

** status is always false!
I dont know if it is some bug...
but I will make some checks ... and I will report it here

Amr Mostafa <amr.mostafa at gmail.com> wrote: Hello Ahmed,

In Drupal5 I do this by creating a menu item of the type
MENU_CALLBACK, with a callback e.g. mymodule_get_rank_json() which
goes  like:

function mymodule_get_rank_json() {
  // ...
  // The code to determine rank and put it in $rank.
  // ...

  // This is how to JSON-ify the returned value
  header('Content-type: text/javascript');
  print drupal_to_js($rank);
}

drupal_to_js() converts the given parameter to JSON and then you print
that back to the browser. To capture the returned information using
javascript and do something useful with it, check Ajax documentation
in jQuery library (the library that is included and used by default
within Drupal) http://docs.jquery.com/Ajax

Cheers,
- Amr