[development] Taxonomy: Multiple parents?

Robert Douglass rob at robshouse.net
Tue Jul 24 11:24:03 UTC 2007

In my opinion, any time multiple parents are used it is a mistake in the
data model. For example, if you have regional offices and each office
has a sale, customer and advertising contact person, you might be
tempted to model the data like this:

Boston
--sales
--customer
--advertising
Detroit
--sales
--customer
--advertising
New York
--sales
--customer
--advertising

One quickly sees, however, that the cleaner model would be two
vocabularies, one for location, one for contact person. I have no use
for multiple parents and would support deprecating it for eventual removal.

-Robert