[development] Forum module bug challenge

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 16:35:44 UTC 2007

On 24 Jul 2007, at 12:03, catch libcom wrote:
> Here's the challenge: Write the patch to fix this, cause this needs
> to happen.
> I checked the issue queue and I don't see an issue for it.

Talking of which (and I don't intend to hijack this thread): I'm busy
compiling an overview of all the pending performance patches that can
make a difference on drupal.org.  If you can send me your lists, then
I'll prioritize them.  If you intend to carry one of these patches
home, please let us know as well.  It'd love to assign names to each
patch, and organize us around this work.

Improving the forum module queries, both the query mentioned by Earl
and the query responsible for the 'Active forum topics' block, would
be of tremendous impact for drupal.org.  Therefore, I'd like to see
us spend more time working on improving the performance of CVS HEAD
(and DRUPAL-5).  These patches can still go into Drupal 6, even if
that requires breaking some APIs.

We need to pick up this work now and get these patches in as soon as
possible.  After August 1st, it is probably too late to break APIs,
even for performance's sake.  So please send me your favorite issues
(especially if you plan to work on them more), and I'll trim the list
to a handful of patches that we can collectively focus on the next
couple of week.  I'd like to ask all of you to allocate some extra
time to getting these performance improvements in.

Thanks for your cooperation,