[development] Drupal 5.2 and 4.7.7 released

Cog Rusty cog.rusty at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 00:48:29 UTC 2007

On 7/26/07, Neil Drumm <drumm at delocalizedham.com> wrote:
> Killes and I have released Drupal 5.2 and 4.7.7. These are bugfix and
> security releases; upgrading is strongly recommended.
>
> Further details are at http://drupal.org/drupal-5.2

This seems a good place for a clarification. (I would post it in
"support" but then it would probably be answered by someone like
myself)

In the 5.2+4.7.7 announcement, in the "Upgrades" section, it says:
"For the most trouble-free transition from an existing installation,
it is recommended that you first upgrade to Drupal 4.7.6 or Drupal
5.1."

In the 5.1+4.7.6 announcement, it was::
"For the most trouble-free transition from an existing installation,
it is recommended that you first upgrade to Drupal 4.7.5 or Drupal
5.0."

What is the purpose of this? (Not recommending to go straight to 5.1
when it was released, but recommending it now that 5.2 has been
released.) Is it a safety valve in case something upgrade-related has
been overlooked in the new release?

Or does it mean that one has to follow the chain and trace back all
the minor releases one by one?