[development] Incremental upgrades

Cog Rusty cog.rusty at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 15:51:35 UTC 2007

On 7/27/07, Gabor Hojtsy <gabor at hojtsy.hu> wrote:
> Earnie Boyd wrote:
> >> What is the purpose of this? (Not recommending to go straight to 5.1
> >> when it was released, but recommending it now that 5.2 has been
> >> released.) Is it a safety valve in case something upgrade-related has
> >> been overlooked in the new release?
> >>
> >> Or does it mean that one has to follow the chain and trace back all
> >> the minor releases one by one?
> >
> > Good questions, I would also like to ask why upgrade.php should not
> > handle a straight 4.x to 5.2?  Isn't it designed to prevent the need to
> > do incremental upgrades so that all of the needed upgrades are self
> > contained?
>
> Well, update.php does not include older updates, so if one has an older
> 4.x site (let's say 4.5 or 4.4), he cannot upgrade directly, but first
> go to an intermediate version. I have not looked into it, but update.php
> might have problems, or would not inform the user, if he has such an old
> system that has no updates in the actual update.php/update.inc/*.install
> files code.

The question remains, because how would it help to upgrade such an old
version first to 5.1 and not to 5.2?

An advice which seemed safe so far was
(a) never skip major versions
(b) when stepping to the next major version use its latest minor
version, assuming that it would be more "bug-fixed"

People seem to have been doing that successfully. So, it surprised me
to see a suggestion to go first to the second-newest minor version
every time..