[development] $node namespace woes -- can we fix this in D6?

Jeff Eaton jeff at viapositiva.net
Fri Jun 1 01:36:27 UTC 2007

On May 31, 2007, at 5:49 PM, Derek Wright wrote:

> On May 31, 2007, at 1:53 PM, adrian rossouw wrote:
>> couldn't we get away with changing how it merges the data?
> that's basically what i had in mind.  and yeah, changing all the  
> call sites (and therefore, breaking most patches in the queue) is  
> the problem. ;)
> i had a scheme for avoiding the majority of the call-site changes  
> (and therefore, patch brokenness) by letting the stuff from {node}  
> and {node_revisions} continue to live at the root of $node (so  
> everywhere that does $node->nid, $node->title, etc wouldn't have to  
> change).  however, that's broken by {node}.comment vs.  
> comment.module's data. :(
> anyway, please see http://drupal.org/node/148420 for more details  
> on this, and for the continuation of this thread.
> now that we've got another 4 weeks before freeze, there's actually  
> a chance in hell of getting this done for D6... ;)

This is very closely related to the problems we were facing with the  
Node Rendering patch -- building structured data for a renderable  
node is downright hazardous when so much stuff is dumped at the top  
level of the node object... There might be an opportunity for synergy  


More information about the development mailing list