[development] Google Gears

Scott Trudeau strudeau at umich.edu
Fri Jun 1 14:37:16 UTC 2007

Theoretically, a way to "sync" Drupal site instances (Google Gears
aside) would be awesome.  Practically, it is a very hard problem to
solve since most Drupal sites are in constant flux "in the wild" and
therefor, once you "copy" a local version of the site and make
changes, you have two separate branches with many potential
opportunities for collision.  You can handle some sync collisions
intelligently but there will always be weird cases.  Also, I can't
even begin to imagine how much more effort it would take to build
modules that can handle a sync framework.

That said, if there were a reasonably reliable and functional tool for
"syncing up" two sites forked from the same parent copy, it could lay
a nice foundation for a better staged development process for large,
active sites.

Scott