[development] One-to-one tables considered harmful

Jonathan Lambert j at firebright.com
Mon Jun 4 01:45:09 UTC 2007

On Jun 3, 2007, at 5:20 PM, Larry Garfield wrote:

> I'm saying that optimizing for big, dedicated hosts at the expense
> of the
> $20/month hosts is a losing proposition.

I just have to back Moshe up here.  If you optimize for the large
scale cases where you need scalability - well, that's just smart, and
you'll have absolutely minimal impact on the vast majority of users.
If anything,  optimizing for this case raises all performance across
the board, including on lower end accounts - where performance and
the need to lessen impact to shared infrastructure can be especially
important.

In all honesty, I can't see a valid argument in anything you wrote,
and I'm looking for it.

If you're saying that we're going to lose performance or the ability
to run on low end hosts, that's not a valid argument.  Not only would
innodb be supported *just fine* on cpanel, plesk, isp config, and
other control panels (we are talking about MySQL 4.x and up, which
all of these systems now ship with - even Plesk), but if anything
memory limits would actually *drop* due to optimization for large
scale setups.  InnoDB will run out of the box on any of these (in
fact, I've got InnoDB setups running on all three of them right now).

This issue is a non-starter - there is no possible argument here,
other than a gentle reminder to keep things compatible and friendly
for new people in the community, and that's an issue I think everyone
involved in this community bears in mind and takes to heart - we want
to see new users.

If we were talking about stored procedures, triggers, transactions,
and other more costly and complex database-layer problems, there
might be an argument here.  But we generally avoid those to try to
keep things compatible (there's a reason; hint: you mentioned it). ;-)

I admire you enthusiasm for a good debate though.  ;-)  Let's let
this one die - it's a somewhat inane line of argument, and will lead
us nowhere.
--
Jonathan Lambert
Principal | FireBright, Inc.