[development] Default to InnoDB

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Jun 4 03:11:26 UTC 2007

On 6/3/07, David Strauss <david at fourkitchens.com> wrote:

> Many discount web hosts (like Dreamhost) support InnoDB but don't
> configure it as a default.

Most shared hosts support it recently.

What do people think about using InnoDB as the default,

Big -1 from me.

We used to have Engine=MyISAM everywhere in the CREATE statements.
We went thru an exercise to purge them all so that we are engine agnostic.

Defaulting back to a specific engine is a step back.

or at least an option during installation?

That I can live with.

The only way I know to install Drupal with InnoDB is by modifying
> my.cnf, which requires root access.

An option at install time, such as a drop down list of engines that
are supported on the server, and selecting one is more appropriate.
It will require preg stuff to change the engine. Or using the new
schema, we can add that more elegantly (not sure how hard would
it be, but can't be that hard).
--
2bits.com
http://2bits.com