[development] One-to-one tables considered harmful

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 09:25:52 UTC 2007

On 04 Jun 2007, at 09:04, Karthik wrote:

> How so? Offhand, in terms of optional components, I can only think of
> the unfortunate existence of the comment field in the node table.

$ grep -r node_comment_statistics * | awk -F: '{print $1}' | grep
".module" | sort | uniq

modules/comment/comment.module
modules/forum/forum.module
modules/node/node.module
modules/search/search.module
modules/tracker/tracker.module

Five core modules directly query the node_comment_statistics table.
In my view of the world, comments are first class citizens in Drupal.
We should optimize how they interact with nodes. In other words, I
agree that it makes sense to merge the node_comment_statistics table
into the node table (assuming it does improve performance). It would
also help eliminate bugs.