[development] One-to-one tables considered harmful

David Strauss david at fourkitchens.com
Tue Jun 5 14:41:10 UTC 2007

Chris Johnson wrote:
> That difference is:
>
> * nodes are "new" objects.  They "start" or "instantiate" a piece of
> content.  They are independent, typically.
>
> * comments are "follow on" objects.  They are a "reaction" to a piece
> of content.  They are *always* dependent upon the node to which they
> refer.
>
> So much for the model.  In a practical implementation sense, the
> questions are different, but need to keep the model in mind.

Well said.

* We also have to track complex statistics for all of a node's comments,
including the replies to the replies to the replies of the comments for
the node.

* Treating comments as nodes implies the creation of nice modularity.
Unfortunately, the performance of many comment-related queries depends
on denormalization.