[development] Go PHP 5, Go!

Robert Douglass rob at robshouse.net
Wed Jun 6 07:33:44 UTC 2007

I just wanted to rehash what Larry said (because saying it many
different ways best avoids confusion). We are preparing a public
statement of intent. The statement is to be supported by PHP open source
projects and it is to reflect their intentions. The entire statement is
that by the 5th of February, 2008, the software projects involved will
no longer see the necessity of writing software that avoids language
features and constructs that are available in PHP5 but not PHP4.

Dries has written very clearly that PHP adoption is a real source for
concern:
http://buytaert.net/php-is-dead-long-live-php

Many people on this list have also voiced frustration with PHP4 shackles.

The main goals of this public statement are to a) help set the direction
of development across many projects, and b) send a loud and clear
message to companies who offer web hosting services.

-Robert