[development] Go PHP 5, Go!

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Wed Jun 6 15:04:54 UTC 2007

I don't know a number, but that's one of the fears that there may be.  A lot of it could be custom code that someone wrote 6 years ago to PHP 4 standards that will have subtle problems in PHP 5, and they're worried about breaking that.  It's the same reason so many web hosts still run register_globals On, even though it's a glaring security hole; they have thousands of clients, and if even 50 of them have code that would stop working without register_globals that's enough to make them shy away from enforcing it.

Any distributed PHP applications or frameworks that are not PHP 5 compatible at this point I would consider officially abandoned, honestly.

--Larry Garfield