[development] Use revisions to replace previews

David Strauss david at fourkitchens.com
Sat Jun 9 19:05:44 UTC 2007

Jeff Eaton wrote:
> This is, in fact, how Drupal 6 works. :) Modules that need to shuffle
> their form data around before it can be considered a valid node object
> add a #submit handler to the node edit form. That code is called by both
> the preview and submit buttons when clicked, and results in a 'fully
> formed' node object when preview is clicked.

What happens if multiple modules need to shuffle the form date into
$node? Is there a way to chain #submit events?

> Basically, exactly what you outlined in your step-by-step process.
>
> The only thing that wouldn't work is modules that add extra database
> information *after* the node is completely inserted into the DB, based
> on the nid, and then display it later. Frankly, I'm not too worried
> about that; creating loads of one-off dummy nodes just because someone
> typed a few lines and hit 'preview' strikes me as a very heavy solution
> for a problem that I'm not yet sure is a problem.
>
> I think the idea of drafts has some merit but I'm unhappy with the idea
> of using the revision system for them. Drafts, if anything, should be an
> explicit workflow state; revisions are an optional construct that exists
> separately from workflow.

The problem with treating drafts as purely a workflow state is that
drafts, ideally, should be able to co-exist with the published node.
Having two coexistent versions of a node requires using revisions.