[development] Go PHP 5, Go!

Konstantin Käfer kkaefer at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 20:06:52 UTC 2007

> We don't need to publicize that there is a possibility that we can go
> back in our decision.

We just said that. I think it is necessary to *force* all
participating projects to switch to PHP 5 only, in all circumstances.
If we just give in when nothing has changed in february 2008, we end
up in the same state as we are now.

> Just keep forging ahead as if PHP4 does not exist, and corner
> ourselves?

If all participating projects (most major ones showed interest) use
PHP 5 from 2008 on, we are not cornering ourselves as Drupal's
competitors are also PHP5 only.

> We can say that we reevaluate this in February and that is it. We
> don't
> need to make any decisions now (apart from pushing hard for hosts
> and distros to go PHP5).

Again, if hosters don't have a reason (= major PHP software is PHP 5
only) to upgrade, they won't. I think it is necessary to decide *now*
to give everyone half a year's notice.

Konstantin Käfer – http://kkaefer.com/