[development] inferring which file to include based on page callback array

Moshe Weitzman weitzman at tejasa.com
Mon Jun 11 20:46:04 UTC 2007

ah, thats the other thing that annoyed me. this derogatory term "magic".
  larry commented in the issue that module developers need full control
over function naming and so on. this is laughable. drupal already has
strict conventions for function naming - the hook system. my proposal is
more of the same, except is is a convenience not a requirement. these
are *conventions*, not magic. conventions are powerful, and are popular
in many apps like drupal and rails.

"we have so much legacy code". all that code is not affected until you
start splitting up your module into .inc files. this is a moot point.

we can keep the include element if people want to, so they can include
random files. that will solve the desire to put an export_ function in
the admin file.

this isn't just about the menu system. i think we've hurt
interoperability of modules with larry's patch. i think modules are
going to have to start including each others files in order to get the
features they want. thats dirty. it shouldn't happen, but it will. my
proposal gets us past that. all a module developer has to do is use
module_invoke(<other module>, <function>) and the right includes will
happen. this isn't foolproof, but i do think it is an improvement.