[development] Announcing cvs_deploy.module

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Wed Jun 13 03:36:20 UTC 2007

On Jun 12, 2007, at 8:04 PM, Larry Garfield wrote:

> The drush/drush_pm concept has my mouth watering. :-)  Small
> request.  Per
> Dries instigation on his blog, make the command line installer PHP
> 5 only.
> It's a non-critical piece of really cool functionality and makes a
> good "value-add" for PHP 5.

I'm all for the "Go PHP5!" effort...

However, I'm only in favor where there's a clear case that PHP5 would
make the code any better.  None of the code I have in mind for this
functionality has anything to do with PHP4 vs. PHP5 changes.  It's
all trivial, plain-vanilla php code to glue the info from
update_status.module together with some wisdom about CVS (with a
little FAPI sprinkled in) to upgrade your site via CVS.  Trying to
force this to be a PHP5-only feature would actually be difficult, and
totally contrived.

Therefore, I'm going to have to graciously decline your request in
this case.  But, I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Cheers,
-Derek (dww)