[development] Can I use an external user DB instead of the original user table in drupal DB?

Richard Morse remorse at partners.org
Fri Jun 15 14:27:00 UTC 2007

On Jun 15, 2007, at 3:51 AM, andy at spiders-lair.com wrote:

>> I want users to provide more profile, and module profile can solve
>> this issue. But it's not convenient to query the data, which user
>> provides. Because the data has been saved in 'profile_fields' and
>> 'profile_values', two tables separately.
>
> Think you're missing the point of "API". Use the user_load()
> function which loads a user, profile and all for your convience. If
> you want to see the structure returned (and where the profile
> fileds are) install the devel module which can display this for you.

As an alternative, you could install (shameless plug)
site_user_list.module.  Although the primary purpose of this module
is not what you're after, it has a nice side effect of being able to
create a database view which will look like a proper table of all the
profile data.  There is some setup you would need to do (to tell it
which profile columns you want in the table), but afterwards you
would be able to just select data from it.

There are still some cases where it might not be useful (especially
if you're using MySQL < 4.1; less so if you're < 5.0) because of
issues either with what the database supports, or keeping the data up-
to-date; but it might help...

HTH,
Ricky

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and properly dispose of this information.