[development] version = "$Name$" considered harmful in .info files

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jun 16 13:01:16 UTC 2007

Quoting Derek Wright <drupal at dwwright.net>:

> On Jun 15, 2007, at 1:53 AM, Dries Buytaert wrote:
>
>> That's probably a good idea.
>
> I checked out a whole copy of contrib to test my perl/find on it.  I
> notice that there are a decent number of modules that do other things
>  with version, besides $Name$.
>
> Do people think I should just nuke all version strings checked into
> CVS in .info files, no matter what?

If the version variable is replaced on packaging why worry about doing
anything at all with contrib modules?  If version contains $Name$ when
installed we should know that it was obtained via CVS.  If $Name$ is
harmful then something else could be suggested, like CVS.  So if
version is containing CVS and someone complains we can let them know
that they installed it incorrectly.  I don't think that anyone but the
module maintainer should modify the .info file for the project.  Your
perl script should only modify the core modules.

Earnie