[development] version = "$Name$" considered harmful in .info files

adrian rossouw adrian at bryght.com
Sun Jun 17 01:24:54 UTC 2007

On 14 Jun 2007, at 12:29 AM, Derek Wright wrote:

> This line has caused lots of trouble and confusion for lots of
> people.  I'm sorry I ever suggested it, and wish I had just written
> and released the cvs_deploy.module right when we were adding the
> version information to the modules page in D5.  Oh well, live and
> learn...

I just played around with it, and from the perspective of somebody
who runs a drupal hosting company, that deploys from cvs.

Is there any reason why this should not be in core? Why should we
require to ship with another module to clean up an issue that core
itself has.

The issue I have is that we are currently using standard drupal
install profiles for the hosted sites, and having to ship with this
module extra would
make the hosted install profiles a special case (enabling the module
above everything else).

Is this going to be part of Drupal 6 at least?