[development] Go PHP 5, Go!

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Mon Jun 18 14:49:36 UTC 2007

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 11:05:47 +0200, "Johan Forngren" <johan at forngren.com> wrote:
> On 6/18/07, Dries Buytaert <dries.buytaert at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 11 Jun 2007, at 11:27, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
>> > If we proceed like this, there will be no way we could revert to
>> > support
>> > PHP 4 in February 2008.
>>
>> If I can believe my own projections (http://buytaert.net/php-is-dead-
>> long-live-php), PHP5 will have a 30% adoption rate by February 2008,
>> rather than the current 20%.  Maybe February 2008 is a little too early?
>

> Not if we can help push it ;)

That is precisely the intent of the GoPHP5 effort. :-)  Change the curve so that it's not 20%-30%, but 50%+.  That pushes past the tipping point, and PHP 4 can more quickly go the direction of PHP 3.  To do that, though, requires market pressure.  We're trying to be that market pressure.

--Larry Garfield