[development] version = "$Name$" considered harmful in .info files

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Tue Jun 19 00:36:59 UTC 2007

On Jun 18, 2007, at 5:28 PM, Larry Garfield wrote:

> What is the "proper" thing to do with a module that is not in
> Drupal's CVS repository in the first place?  I'm tempted to just
> say "who cares?" except that Drupal 6 will now be checking such
> things and complaining if it's not set correctly.

Since when?  You mean when update_status moves into D6?  If there's
no version in the .info file, update_status just tells you it's
ignoring that module due to lack of information...  There's also a
setting where you can tell update_status to always ignore a given
module for status checks.  And, I'm trying to be careful when writing
update_status code to gracefully degrade if the version strings
aren't following our convention, as much as possible.

> So if one is doing it manually, what is correct?

Doesn't really matter, but the "correct" thing would be to either:

a) Just follow the d.o version numbering scheme and manually put it
in your .info files.
b) Deploy your own instance of project* and let it handle this for
you. ;)
c) Leave them blank as further proof that you're irresponsible with
your forked code. ;) (j/k)

/me shrugs

-Derek