[development] version = "$Name$" considered harmful in .info files

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jun 19 17:40:15 UTC 2007

Quoting Derek Wright <drupal at dwwright.net>:

> On Jun 19, 2007, at 7:14 AM, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>
>> What are the reprecussions to having a version string in the info
>> file?  I don't understand the CON of specifying the version  string.
>>  If I specify ``version = CVS'' what is wrong with that?

Derek, thanks for the feedback.

> 1) Sooner or later, whatever you check in yourself will become stale
> and wrong (since you'll forget to update it to reflect reality).  No
> information is better than wrong information, especially since we
> have good tools to figure out the correct information automatically
> if it's not there.

I agree if the version is specified as a specific version.

> 2) It's potentially confusing for the vast majority of Drupal people
> who download packages, since "version" will be defined twice in  the
> .info files.

If version is specified in the info file you could:
1) Not output another
2) Replace the specified
3) Output one anyway

I think 2) would be the choice to use.

> 3) You'll break the cvs_deploy module's logic in the one case it's
> necessary: when people deploy from CVS. ;)  If there's data in  the
> .info file, cvs_deploy goes with that.  If you put in something
> bogus like "CVS" in there, it won't attempt to figure out what you
> really have instead, since it assumes you must have put your local
> modification there for a reason.

Good, so you chose to use option 1) above.  Could an option be included
to use option 2) above instead?

> 4) "CVS" is the name of a version control system and a pharmacy.  It
> is not, and has never been, a reasonable name of a specific version
> of a piece of software. ;)

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this point. ;p  The ``version =
CVS'' has more documentational value to a noob that you realize though.
  There are some noobs, me for example, who checkout from CVS without
realizing the downside of that.  As a noob I might then go searching
for version to discover what it meant.

Earnie