[development] PHP 5 > aggregator.module rewrite to XML API?

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Tue Jun 19 19:36:50 UTC 2007

On 6/19/07, Larry Garfield <larry at garfieldtech.com> wrote:

> Disclaimer: I am not an RSS guru, just a pedant. :-)
>
> RSS is XML.  The XML spec explicitly says that invalid files should be
> discarded, not guessed at the way HTML is.  Trying to make sense of a broken
> RSS feed is explicitly contrary to the spec.  So, er, why are we spending so
> much time trying to sanitize?  If it doesn't parse correctly, report an
> error "this site's RSS feed is f*ed up, tell 'em to fix it".  Am I missing
> something here?

And this is the point where I dive back in....

Many many many people have argued this.

Fact: many non proper XML RSS feeds exist in the wild.
Fact: if Drupal doesn't parse it, when other applications do, Drupal looks
"broken"
Fact: regular people like stuff that "just works"  with any RSS feed out
there, and will pick that over XML pedantry every day.

A checkbox for "discard invalid XML" makes perfect sense....for *some feeds*
and *some use cases*.

--
Boris Mann
Office 604-682-2889