[development] Node Rendering Debate

Farsheed tfarsheed at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 22 01:32:35 UTC 2007

> I am 100% against you needing to use an interface to
> assign variable
> names, because it makes
> node template un-distributable, without distributing
> the additional
> configuration too.

True, but I also don't think it's super easy for
themers to rename or assign variables.  What happens
is that themers inevitably have to figure out what
drupal is sending them - and it's annoying having to
print_r just to understand what kind of output you are
getting.

I think a UI is a great idea. And I also think it's
important for configurations to stay in the theme.
Maybe theme configurations could be written to a
special file by the UI and shipped with the theme
instead of stored in the database. That way all the
configurations are in one place and end users and
themers can both modify it either in a UI or by hand.