[development] Node Rendering Debate

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Fri Jun 22 17:33:56 UTC 2007

Sean Robertson wrote:
> This sounds like it will really make it harder to reuse themes, since
> you'd have to make sure the variables were all assigned the same.  If
> you had a dozen themers, you'd end up with a dozen ways of naming each
> variable.  I'd prefer things be kept as consistent across all Drupal
> installations as possible, so if I inherit another user's site, I don;t
> have to figure out how they did everything.

The UI for doing this would be all in one place. And right now, themes aren't
going to be able to handle module-contributed node content *anyway*.

Whether I'm using

or

Stock themes aren't going to be able to include this code. You're already
restricted by the fact that CCK items are named via UI. Standard Drupal core
stuff will already be broken out into "well-named variables" so that themes can
handle that stuff, and module contributed extras are going to suffer no matter
which way we do it.

 From the perspective of the theme, in my opinion, whether the contributed
module names the field or the administrator/themer/designer names the field,
it's completely arbitrary and not portable anyway.