[development] Update status in core: required or optional?

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Fri Jun 22 23:49:22 UTC 2007

As I understand it, Dries wants update_status to move into core by
means of a patch against system.module.  I.e. make it a required part
of the module system, something that can't be disabled.

However, there's a debate underway on if you should be able to
disable it if you really want to.  I'm sympathetic to arguments for
both sides of the debate, so I opened an issue about it and am
encouraging people to add their thoughtful comments on the topic:

http://drupal.org/node/153968

Please don't reply here, just comment in the issue:

http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/153968

Thanks!
-Derek (dww)