[development] Go PHP 5, Go!

Scott Trudeau strudeau at umich.edu
Tue Jun 26 18:58:47 UTC 2007

First: Kudos to everyone for so heavily weighing the needs of users
who clearly can't even participate at the developer level -- I'm sure
anyone active on this list would suffer little pain from a php5-only
D7.

Second: The underlying concensus seems to be that this move should
probably happen sooner or later, and the debate is about how soon.

IMO, there are few strong arguments for NOT providing a php5-only D7.
If, in hindsight, it proves to be a mistake (IMO, very unlikely), we
can always continue to support D6 and, in the absolute worst case
scenario, abandon php5-only benefits and begin backporting.

For the broader push for php5-only OS web apps, I think it would make
sense to identify a range of web hosts that already provide php5,
those that do not, and provide documentation on how to export a site
from the latter set and import a site to the former set -- if we
expect a large number of users to want to upgrade from php4-only
hosts.  Is there any evidence for large numbers of Drupal users who
will likely want to upgrade who are truly "stuck" on a php4-only host?
 This is effectively, btw, an organized boycott of php4-only hosts --
but I see that as a good thing.

Hell, perhaps an enterprising consultant or shop could solicit
"sponsorships" from php5-capable hosts to draft "importing a Drupal
site" to their platform and use some of that sponsorship money to help
pay to draft "export" documentation for uncooperative hosts.

This decision would be a little easier to gauge if we had numbers
describing things like how many D4.6/4.7/5.x/6 sites there out there?
How "good" are sites at keeping up to date with major version changes
(i.e., how many sites tend to upgrade, how long is the lag between
release and upgrade, on average, etc.)?  How many sites are currently
active on php4-only hosts? Etc.  Do we have any sense of those
numbers?  Is there a good way to poll the wider Drupal community to
get their thoughts?  I.e., how many people on support know this
conversation is happening?

FWIW, I also think that it might be a good thing to plan a major
change on a nice, long timeline and expect to provide extended support
for D6 for longer than usual -- as Chris Johnson points out, it's very
difficult to keep up with the rapid-fire Drupal release cycle.

Scott