[development] Go PHP 5, Go!

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Wed Jun 27 00:23:09 UTC 2007

On Jun 26, 2007, at 3:51 PM, Jeff Eaton wrote:

> Min version checking is something that modules *can* implement
> using hook_status, if I remember correctly. Putting it into the
> info files makes a lot of sense, though -- it's a basic check
> that's best centralized.

Thing is, if it's in the .info files, then the forthcoming
drupalorg.module could parse the .info files and implement another
project browsing method on d.o and other stuff like that.  If it's in
a php hook, there's no chance for d.o itself to access the data,
since we will not give everyone with a CVS account PHP access to d.o
(which is effectively what would happen if we were trying to get this
out of a module hook).  Plus, on the client side, you want to know
this *before* you try to enable it at admin/build/modules (just like
core version) so it's gotta be in the .info file for that to work, too.

Really, this isn't that hard.  Look at the patch I wrote [1].  This
is almost identical.  It should be trivial to add php in there if
someone wants to do it.  My hands are full moving update_status into
core, so I'm not volunteering.

-Derek (dww)

[1]
http://drupal.org/node/146910