[development] Menu feature -- can we lose this, please?

Darrel O'Pry dopry at thing.net
Mon Mar 5 23:48:21 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 00:26 +0100, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
> Karoly Negyesi wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > One of the biggest problems I am facing is a feature that happened
> > somewhat accidentally in the old menu system.
> >
> > If you give administer comments right to someone and no other administer
> > permission then you will see a 'Comments' link along with 'My account'
> > and 'Logout'. This 'bubbling' just kills the new system.
> >
> > So, what about we get rid of it for good? admin, admin/by-task,
> > admin/compact, admin/by-module, admin/logs, admin/help has access
> > administration pages and their children have this permission, too.
> > admin/settings, admin/content, admin/build and admin/user is currently
> > set to administer site configuration . While it has logic in it, I would
> > like to see a permission for the collection pages listed here which is
> > not used anywhere else. Then you give your admin 'see admin pages'
> > rights which in itself does not grant you any admin priviledges and also
> > administer comments. However this comments admin user would see a very
> > empty admin/build page, for example. With a nice message, probably.
> >
> > Is this acceptable?
>
> I am not sure I am getting what you are saying, but if you that saying
> that if a user doesn't have access rights to foo he won't have access
> rights to foo/bar then I am all for it.
>
> Cheers.
> 	Gerhard

chx is actually talking about the presentation of menu in the Navigation
menu, not actual access control, i think. I'm sure chx will correct me
if I'm wrong.

Right now if you have access to administer comments, but not to access
administration pages, you see a Comments link at the root level of the
menu.

I think permissions to containers should be inferred if you have access
to the children, just for consistency of navigation. The click trail to
administer comments should be the same whether you have access
administration pages or not.

How hard will it be to support end users if you have all these
possibilities to get to the 'administer comments' section?

Developers and power users may realize its usually the same url, but not
people who are used to desktop apps where 'edit >> preferences'
consistently gets you to preferences. preferences doesn't get bumped to
the root of the menu tree if you don't have access to the edit
container. they just show you the container with the options you can
access hidden or disabled.

very much like the edit and revisions tabs.

so chx. I very much agree with you, except it would be nice if
admin/build were completely hidden instead of showing a page stating I
don't have access to this section.

.darrel.