[development] Menu feature -- can we lose this, please?

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Tue Mar 6 09:59:30 UTC 2007

Op maandag 5 maart 2007 23:15, schreef Karoly Negyesi:
> Is this acceptable?

I don't think so. This is not my personal opnion, its just a helicopter view
thingy:

What you are proposing is a hierarchical permission system (like that of LDAP)
to replace our current node (NOT the Drupal node, the real thing) based
permissions (like that in *nix systems). Our nodebased (NOT the Drupal
node!!) permission system has worked very well so far. Moving this to a
hierarchical system involves a LOT more then merely a menu refactoring. It is
an architectural decicion with a great impact on how people (can) use Drupal.

We should at least know more about the side-effects. But preferably we should
really know about the underlying concepts and pitfalls. Especially because a
hierarchical permission system, combined with group (Drupal calls them roles)
based systems is generally considered no-go area; because: too complex in UI
and concept.

In general I would say: don't go in that swamp, unless you have a guide
(permission expert) to guide you.

Bèr
--
Drupal, Ruby on Rails and Joomla! development: webschuur.com | Drupal hosting:
www.sympal.nl