[development] file caching abandoned?

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 09:51:27 UTC 2007

On 06 Mar 2007, at 19:41, Steve Rude wrote:
> I have done much testing with memory based object caching using
> memcached and I think it would be nice if there was the ability to
> choose what type of caching you wanted (memory/file/db) and have
> the cache.inc functionality basically an abstraction layer that the
> storage mechanism can be taken care of by other include files
> ( e.g. cache-memcache.inc cache-file.inc.  The same way that the
> database abstraction works.

A good start would be to rigorously benchmark and compare the
different file caching solutions, and to compare them against their
database caching alternatives.

All the existing file caching modules were originally developed for
Drupal 4.7 and simply ported to Drupal 5.  It's not clear how well
they perform on Drupal 5, or whether they are needed at all.

Last time I checked (a couple of months ago before D5 was released),
file caching didn't buy me much additional performance over Drupal
5's "aggressive database caching".  This observation was in line with
my expectations --- I just set out to confirm this.

Of course, there will be cases where file caching does buy you
something (when the database is the bottleneck?) and it might have
some additional advantages (site continues to work a "little bit"
when the database is down), but it also has disadvantages (setup
cost, less tested, less suitable for multi-tier architectures).

I meant to work on such an analysis after I wrote http://buytaert.net/
drupal-5-performance, but I didn't get around to it yet.  To me,
getting a good overview of the different strategies/solutions is key
before pursuing any further work, or before we can recommend one
module over another.

I still intend to do these benchmarks if no one else does, but it
might take me a couple of weeks.  If anyone wants to work on this,
feel free to though.