[development] memcache

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 14:27:18 UTC 2007

On 07 Mar 2007, at 12:25, Chris Johnson wrote:
> I don't quite understand Dries remark "I'm fairly convinced that
> memory-based caching ... is the way forward rather than file-based
> caching."  That remark seems to presuppose knowing every site's and
> host's situation (impossible) or to say that file-based caching
> will never provide enough performance benefit over what we have now.
>
> I think the real way forward is object-based caching hooks in core
> and a pluggable cache interface.

When I wrote "memory-based caching, a la membcached", I meant "memory-
based _object_ caching, a la memcached".

When I wrote "the way forward", I meant that object-based caching is
likely to buy us a lot more than file-based page caching will buy us
over database-based page caching.

I certainly didn't meant to presuppose every site's situation and
specifically said that this won't hold in all cases -- though, I'm
convinced that it will hold in the majority of the cases.   Plus, I
stressed that we'll want to do a rigourous analysis first so we have
good understanding of the problem space.

> Instead, we should at least allow site owners to chose amongst
> memory, file and database caching at a minimum.

Yes, see above. :)