[development] UI review from Portland UI-SIG

Neil Drumm drumm at delocalizedham.com
Sat Mar 10 17:29:10 UTC 2007

On 3/10/07, Gerhard Killesreiter <gerhard at killesreiter.de> wrote:
> Andre Molnar wrote:
> > Neil Drumm wrote:
> >> Thanks to the Portland UI-SIG, http://www.portlandusability.com/, we
> >> have some ideas for how to improve the initial usage of Drupal, things
> >> like setting up the theme and posting content.
> >>
> >> The notes are at http://drupal.org/node/126143. Skip straight to the
> >> "Creating the first account" heading to see some suggestions that
> >> could be built into patches.
> >>

> > In content creation:
> >
> > # Required field indication doesn't obviously indicate its meaning.
> > # "Submit page" isn't the best title, "Create page" or "Create new page"
> > might be better options.
> >
> > These two have been noted in quite a few usability reviews (including
> > the one I wrote up).  The first one is such a trivial change.  How many
> > 'experts' saying 'this could be improved' does it take until a patch
> > gets committed.
>
> Is there a patch? If yes, you should add links to this discussion and
> the relevant documents to its issue.

I tried over at http://drupal.org/node/83857

The problem is that there are a few ways of actually accomplishing
making required fields looks required and all of them can be supported
by some resource on the internet:
- Simply use a '*' as we do now
- '* required'
- '* required' for the first, '*' for the others
- '* means required' at the top and/or bottom.

--
Neil Drumm
http://delocalizedham.com