[development] WYSIWYG editors considered harmful for site admins (and in general, but that's a separate thread)

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Mon Mar 12 23:02:37 UTC 2007

On 3/12/07, Greg Knaddison - GVS <Greg at growingventuresolutions.com> wrote:

> I post this here because I want to
>
> 1) get some collective ideas on brainstorming
> 2) warn other users from using WYSIWYG editors on admin/ pages
> 3) alert module maintainers that if your settings page has a textarea
> input you should be aware of this as a possible cause of problems

This was discussed briefly in #drupal.

Basically, as a best practice, we should tell WYSIWYG modules to look
at filter_form and/or check using JS to see if an input form selector
is available, and only then replace with a rich text area.

Hopefully chx and/or UnConeD can provide some more tips here. I'm sure
that module devs for rich text would love some guidance on this.

And yes, a "real" hook for D6 would be even better, although I get the
sense many folks are against WYSIWYG in general, but I'd rather not
get into a religious war....

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747