[development] OG User Roles

Ron Parker sysop at scbbs.com
Mon Mar 19 02:16:28 UTC 2007

Thank you so much for the response.  You know a heck of a lot more about
this than I, but I will respond inline below:

David Metzler wrote:

> If I understand it correctly, the proposed modification would put OG
> specific functionality into user.module.  I doubt that this would be
> received well, although I'm not a core maintainer.

It isn't being well received.  That's why the CVS administrator told me
to post the idea here.

> This functionality is probably best implemented in 5.0 or greater,
> because of the new node access functionality.

I'm working in 5.1 now.

> Here's an alternate strategy to consider while you're waiting for core
> patches.  Move the logic about testing for permissions into a
> form_alter hook.  You ought to be able to then redirect to an access
> denied error message if the conditions for the node insert aren't
> correct.  I haven't tried this yet, but it seems p

Don't understand how this would work.  I'll read up on it.

> This does point out a subtle flaw in drupals access permissions in
> that it doesn't provide the ability to have an access module control
> "insert" permissions.  I think that ultimately this is the right fix,
> rather than altering user_access, which controls a lot more than node
> access.
>
> A patch for making drupal call the appropriate access control hooks
> before insert (access_records and node_access_grants) would be a much
> more well received patch, and probably make your code a lot cleaner,
> as it would remove all the arg checking that you're doing in your
> current strategy.

I've actually implemented something similar for a different application
I'm working on: http://drupal.org/node/122173  It works farily well, but
brings up another problem: view/create/update/delete permissions
(access_grants) are handled differently from list permissons
(node_db_rewrite_sql).  What I want is far less dramatic:  Just add the
correct role to user_access OR $user->roles depending upon the group.

> Alternatively, propose a new hook that would be called from within
> user_access.  For example, user_access is called and after it's done
> it's work it invokes a module _access hook that would allow the
> og_roles module to change the result of the user_access calls.

This make a LOT of sense.  Some sort of hook that would allow a module
to add whatever permissions it calculates to the user_acess function.
There's just one problem I see there for the og user roles proposition:
It adds permissions (or roles) based upon the group context.  I notice
that by default user_access caches permissions.  This won't work since a
user's role will really depend upon what nodes he's looking at and where
at the time user_access is called.  Unless the hook would also allow the
module to delete the permissions cache for this user.

Please let me know how you think some sort of hook would work here.

My suggestions is a sort of _roles hook that would be called from within
user_access and added to the $user->roles permissions before they are
added to the cache.  The module_name_roles function would then do it's
thing to create a list of permissions to add, deleting the user's
permissions cache.

> I think either of these strategies would be far more well received
> than what you've currenlty proposed.
>
> I'm pretty familiar with node_access in drupal5, having participated
> in the simple_access port, so if you need more info on how these would
> be implemented, let me know.

If you think my hook_roles idea makes sense, I'd need to know how to
propose it, exactly.  Thanks so much for input.

-ron