[development] Downloaded modules stats

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Wed Mar 21 18:15:36 UTC 2007

On Mar 13, 2007, at 5:09 PM, Greg Knaddison - GVS wrote:

> I believe dww was in favor of the awstat->project solution and Dries
> in favor of the "In project.module solution"

some how this issue escaped me in the run-up to my vacation in
february, but behold:

http://drupal.org/node/102422

someone *else* actually provided *code* for project.module to enabled
download counters on all project releases.  ;)

needs reviews and testing, but the basic approach is there (a new
column in the {project_release_nodes} table for the counter, a DB
update to add it, and the download links point to a menu callback
that increments the counter, then redirects to the actual
downloadable file).

of course, this will miss any time folks have direct links to
ftp.osuosl.org (which we tend to do for core a lot in the sticky
front page stories about the latest security fix, for example).
that's why i'd rather just get the stats from ftp.osuosl.org
directly, and have a script to parse that data and stuff it into the
DB.  but, i suppose the kind of counter implemented in #102422 is
better than nothing (and would probably be more useful to non-d.o
sites using project_release.module, anyway).

anyone interested in this topic is encouraged to take a look at that
patch, try it out on a local test site, etc.  furthermore, please
consider working on all this project quality metrics stuff for Summer
of Code:

http://drupal.org/node/128546

thanks,
-derek (dww)