[development] Accessing CCK field data (single, multiple, or shared) from another module

Karen Stevenson karen at elderweb.com
Fri Mar 23 12:48:42 UTC 2007

To find the right table for a field for a SQL query, use the API, like this:

$db_info = content_database_info($field);
$table = $db_info['table'];

That will always return the right table for the requested field.

$field needs to be the complete field array, not just the field name, so if you only have the field name, you would do:

$field = content_fields(my_field_name);
$db_info = content_database_info($field);
$table = $db_info['table'];

content_database_info($field) also contains info about the columns declared by the field so you know what field names to use in a SQL query. It returns an array that looks like:

Array (
    [table] => content_type_story
    [columns] => Array (
            [value] => Array  (