[development] PHP version stats

Victor Kane victorkane at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 17:32:01 UTC 2007

On 3/24/07, Bèr Kessels <ber at webschuur.com> wrote:

> I think it is really strange that people actually think about no longer
> supporting something that is -in fact- the biggest part of their success:
> the
> fact that PHP and MySQL is available on nearly every host. If you move
> away
> from that, you are going to kill yourself, your business, your websites
> and
> the Drupal community. Within a few months, the bulk of the developers will
> have moved on to a CMS that they can actually install, using the tools and
> systems they have available or can afford.
>
> Bèr

There is no doubt about this. All discussion on PHP5 and OOP is based on
equal availability in common hostings, etc., for a time when PHP5 is as
omnipresent as PHP4 is now.

The problem is, that obviously that will come in time, but we should be
thinking about the implications of migration now.

A paradigm shift cannot come at the drop of a hat either.

Victor Kane
http://awebfactory.com.ar