[development] Book module break out features

Frando (Franz Heinzmann) frando at xcite-online.de
Wed Mar 28 11:00:48 UTC 2007

I thought about wether it would be a good idea or not to use the (new)
menu system as a base for all this [hierarchical page structuring
module, iow. book module], as the menu system already provides the basic
data structures to construct a hierarchy/tree.
If the menu system would be the base, things could look like this:

* each 'thing' in the tree is represented by a menu item
* the book module takes care to keep nodes and their menu items
   synchronized
* the module provides a simple form that can be added to other forms,
   for example to the node creation form (we have this already, but the
   I could be improved) but also to e.g. the views creation form, to
   create a new menu item
* the module also provides a simple book (= special menu trees)
   managment UI
* the module provides a per-root-menu option wether navigation links
   (like in the old book module) shall be displayed or not [as per
   berkes' suggestion: in a block that is placed in the "content_bottom"
   region by default]
* Breadcrumbs are taken care of by the menu system

The advantage would be that you would then have a page hierarchy that
can include all types of pages and not only nodes.

I'm not yet totally sure wether this could work out, I just wanted to
throw in the idea...

- so - what would be the advantage of maintaining a second
structuring/tree table with just nodes instead of improving menu.module,
and giving it a book-module like UI (maybe additionally to the classic
menu UI)?

regards,
-- frando

(originally posted as a comment on http://drupal.org/node/128731)