[development] CVS issues

Richard Morse remorse at partners.org
Thu Mar 29 17:29:28 UTC 2007

On Mar 29, 2007, at 1:21 PM, Derek Wright wrote:

> On Mar 29, 2007, at 6:11 AM, Richard Morse wrote:
>
>> Is there any way to tell CVS to just undo everything I did yesterday?
>
> yes, but it's a lot of work.

Oh well; I'll figure out how to fix this some other way then; I was
hoping there was an easy "cvs rollback" command at the client...

>> (I thought if I had completely different CVS checkouts, in
>> different roots, it would keep track of which tag was proper, but
>> it doesn't).
>
> i don't know what CVS client you're using, and some of them might
> be stupider than others.  however, using the CLI, if you checkout
> like so:
>
> mkdir drupal-5
> cd drupal-5
> cvs -d[blah-blah] co -r DRUPAL-5 contributions/modules/foo
> cd ..
>
> mkdir drupal-4-7
> cd drupal-4-7
> cvs -d[blah-blah] co -r DRUPAL-4-7 contributions/modules/foo
> cd ..

The annoying this is that this is what I did, but then it commited
stuff in the drupal-5 directory to the 4-7 tag.  Until I have more
practice, I'm going to just keep wiping out my local copy whenever I
need to change branches.

>> Also, is there any way to delete a file from head, but not from
>> the various branches?
>
> sure.  assuming the file exists in the repository and is properly
> added to the other branches, you just do this:
>
> mkdir HEAD
> cd HEAD
> cvs -d[blah-blah] co contributions/modules/foo
> cd contributions/modules/foo
> rm file-for-branches.txt
> cvs rm file-for-branches.txt
> cvs commit -m "file-for-branches.txt shouldn't be in HEAD"

Thanks -- this is very useful!

Ricky

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and properly dispose of this information.